NYC Truck Accident Lawyer
Being injured in a commercial trucking collision is something no one should have to go through. Call an NYC semi-truck crash attorney who can help you obtain compensation for your injuries and losses.
Accidents involving 18-wheelers or other large trucks are known to lead to devastating injuries—and in some cases, death. If you were severely hurt in an accident involving a semi-truck, you may be able to file an injury claim against the truck driver or another at-fault party.
Most accidents are caused by someone’s negligence, and negligence makes the person who caused the accident legally liable for your injuries. But filing a claim for compensation is not an easy thing to do, especially if you’ve been seriously injured. For help, call an NYC truck accident lawyer with Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP.
You’ve likely suffered extensive losses, such as medical expenses, missed work wages, physical pain, and mental anguish, from your big rig accident. You can receive a settlement to cover all of your damages, but only if you win your case. We’re here to make sure that happens.
Who Might Be to Blame for Your NYC 18-Wheeler Crash
Establishing the cause of a wreck involving a tractor-trailer is one of the most important steps you and your attorney will need to take. To figure out who is liable, you have to know what caused the crash. Once you can prove what factors caused the collision, liability will be clear.
Many factors could cause a commercial vehicle to collide with other vehicles on a New York City road. Sometimes, more than one party could be responsible for a crash. For example, if a drowsy truck driver caused the crash, both the trucker and the trucking company may be held accountable for resulting damages.
Below are a few of the common factors that lead to NYC tractor-trailer crashes, as well as who may be liable in each situation:
- Drunk Driving – Truckers who drink and drive are a great danger to everyone on the road. If an intoxicated truck driver caused your injuries, you can sue the trucker and possibly the trucking company for damages.
- Dangerous Roadways – The government is responsible for maintaining this country’s roadways and making them safe to travel on. If a road authority failed in that duty and you were injured, you could file a claim against the government.
- Poor Mechanical Work – Sometimes, a mechanic doesn’t properly service a semi-truck, which means the truck could malfunction and crash. In such a situation, you could file a personal injury claim against the mechanic or truck service company.
- Speeding – Speeding and other reckless driving means responsibility will rest with the trucker. You can file a claim against a reckless truck driver to recover compensation for your losses.
- Unsecured Load – Sometimes, a load from a semi-truck will come loose, leading to a serious wreck. Whoever loaded the truck could be liable for your losses.
- Defective Parts – Manufacturing companies sometimes create defective parts that lead to auto wrecks. The same goes for trucks. If you can show that the manufacturer was liable, either in the creation of the defective product or in failing to conduct a recall, you can recover full compensation.
The Other Side May Not Treat You Fairly
After a serious New York City big rig crash leaves you injured, you will need to file a personal injury claim in order to obtain compensation for all of your damages.
Because New York is a no-fault state, your own insurance should cover your immediate medical expenses and a percentage of your lost wages, but if your damages or injuries exceed a certain threshold, you’ll be able to file an injury claim with the trucker, trucking company, or an insurance company representing either.
But to get a fair settlement, you need to know how to handle insurers and at-fault parties, how to distinguish a good offer from a bad one, and how to negotiate the fair payout you deserve. If you don’t know how to do these things, you can leave the process up to an attorney. Some insurance companies will try to take advantage of accident victims.
Insurance companies are trying to make money—they are for-profit businesses, so their priorities are very different from yours. You just want to get the money that’s owed to you for an 18-wheeler accident you didn’t cause. The insurance company just wants to keep its money safe and sound in a bank account.
If you try to handle insurance companies or negligent parties on your own, there is a good chance you’ll be mistreated. The insurance adjuster may try to push blame on you, record your statements to use against you, trick you into admitting fault, or get you to accept a payout that is far less than what you’re truly owed for your injuries.
Serious Injuries in an NYC Semi-Truck Crash
Some injuries can be very serious and will result in severe losses for the victim. Your injuries could be so serious that you’ll require physical therapy to recover, or you may be permanently disabled. You may not be able to return to work, and that means your ability to make a living could be lost.
In addition, truck collision injuries can be extremely painful or cause chronic pain that will affect your quality of life. Your injuries may make it so you can no longer engage in activities you once enjoyed. Fortunately, you can be compensated for how a serious injury has affected your life.
Some serious injuries common in NYC tractor-trailer crashes are as follows:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Severe burns
- Loss of a limb
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injuries
- Neck and shoulder injuries
- Organ damage
- Internal bleeding
- Serious lacerations and post-injury infections
Recovering Your Losses After Your Tractor-Trailer Collision
NYC truck crash injuries have the potential to change your life. The more serious your injuries are, the more extensive your losses could be. You could be dealing with overwhelming medical bills, missed time at work, and other financial losses.
You could also be eligible to collect compensation for how your semi-truck crash injuries have affected your life. For example, you could be dealing with fears and anxiety caused by your crash that may stay with you for a long time, if not for life. You deserve a fair settlement for all the ways your accident has inflicted harm on you.
Some of the damages you could demand payment for are listed below:
- Missed work wages
- Permanent disability
- Medical expenses, including hospital bills, co-pays, and medications
- Mental anguish
- Physical therapy and mental health services
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of life enjoyment
- Scarring and disfigurement
Contact an NYC Semi-Truck Accident Attorney
Tractor-trailer crashes cause some of the most catastrophic injuries of all vehicle accidents, and that means extensive damages for you.
You’ve already suffered physical injuries and pain, mental trauma and suffering—you shouldn’t have to suffer financially because of your accident, as well. Filing a personal injury claim can put a stop to your losses and help you build your life back up.
Contact an NYC truck accident lawyer who has experience, compassion, and gumption. Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP will aggressively pursue the compensation you need to move past this serious truck collision. Reach us for a free case evaluation by calling 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462) or filling out the form below.