Don’t Be a Victim Twice!
Call 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462)
get in touch

Legal Options After a Car Accident with an Out-of-State Driver

When you’re hit by another driver, it can be an ordeal. You’ll need to deal with your insurance company and get a settlement that covers all of your related expenses. Although no-fault car insurance simplifies some of that process, one thing can make it more complex and confusing: a driver from another state. You’ll need to understand your legal options after a car accident with an out-of-state driver.

Out-of-state drivers aren’t always held to the same insurance regulations, which makes it more difficult to secure your rightful compensation. Fortunately, you still have a chance to obtain recompense. If you’re struggling in the wake of a car accident with an out-of-state driver, you may need legal guidance to get your compensation.

Filing an Insurance Claim

New York is a no-fault state for car insurance purposes, which means you might be able to avoid the complications of an out-of-state driver accident entirely. No-fault insurance covers the costs of a typical accident up to a certain amount, regardless of fault.

In these cases, you’ll simply need to file a claim with your insurance company and request a settlement for your crash. Rather than focusing on who’s responsible for the accident, the insurer will simply investigate whether the accident happened and how serious your injuries are. Once they’ve determined the worth of your claim, they’ll make you a settlement offer.

For many people, this is the end of the claim process. They’ll receive the compensation they need to cover the expenses of an accident. Unfortunately, your claim might not be so simple.

Compensation for Serious Injuries

Some claims might be especially serious. New York’s no-fault insurance has a serious injury threshold, which means that claims worth more than $50,000 in economic damages, or ones involving serious injuries may be taken to court, rather than being handled by the insurance company.

First, you’ll need to contact an accident attorney about jurisdiction and suing the other driver. That means you’ll need to know which court is responsible for your claim and whether you can sue the other driver within that state.

Once you’ve determined where you’ll need to file and how much your claim is worth, your lawyer can help. With experience and knowledge on your side, you’ll give your claim its best chance at success.

Seek a Lawyer for Out-of-State Driver Accidents

Car accident claims can be complex. But, if you didn’t cause the accident that harmed you, you shouldn’t be responsible for your related expenses. An attorney from Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP can help you fight for your rightful funds.

You need to know your legal options after a car accident with an out-of-state driver, and our firm has the experience you need. Get started with a free case review with our firm. We’ll discuss your claim, walk you through your options and explain how we can help.

If you have questions about out-of-state driver accidents, or if you’re ready to get started filing a personal injury claim, reach out to us. Call 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462) or complete the online form below.

Start live chat with our team?