Don’t be a victim twiceChoose the right attorney!
$200,000,000 in Recoveries Since 1995
Nearly 20,000Satisfied Clients
- Brittany L. via
Cases Settled Quickly
Calls ReturnedEvery Time
NEW YORK CITYCar Accident Lawyers
In Recoveries Since 1995
Nearly 20,000 Satisfied Clients
In Recoveries Since 1995
Cases Settled Quickly
Call Returned Every Time
Don’t be a victim twice
Choose the right attorney!
Brooklyn Personal Injury Lawyer
Don’t be a victim twice! Your Brooklyn personal injury attorney will work tirelessly to win you the compensation you deserve for an accident you didn’t cause.
Accidents are a part of life, and, unfortunately, you can’t plan for all of them. Sometimes, an accident can just happen—a twist of fate, a stubbed toe. Sometimes, though, accidents are directly caused by someone else’s carelessness. When you’ve been hurt because someone didn’t take your safety seriously, you can seek justice.
Serious injuries can cause a lot of upset in your life. You could be forced to spend weeks or months in a hospital, you could be missing out on work wages, or you could be permanently injured, which could affect your life forever. These losses aren’t something you have to just accept—you can fight for your right to compensation.
A Brooklyn personal injury lawyer with Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP will help you fight. We will investigate your case to determine who was responsible for your accident, we will gather evidence to prove your claim, and we can negotiate fair compensation from the other side. That’s what we do for accident victims who come to us.
Types of Brooklyn Personal Injury Cases
There are many different ways in which a person can be injured in an accident. If your injuries could have been prevented if not for the carelessness of another, you may have a valid case for personal injury compensation. Below are a few different types of Brooklyn personal injury cases, all of which have unique laws associated with them:
- Motor Vehicle Crashes – When you’ve been in a vehicle collision, you may qualify to take your case outside of New York’s no-fault system. Your attorney can help determine if your injuries qualify, whether you were in a car accident, motorcycle crash, or truck collision.
- Premises Liability – If a homeowner or business owner failed to maintain a safe property, you can sue the person in civil court if you were injured as a result. All property owners have a responsibility to ensure your safety when you’re legally on their grounds.
- Product Liability – Manufacturers have a legal obligation to provide consumers with safe products. Whether a dangerous drug or a faulty auto part injured you, you can be compensated for your suffering.
- Workplace Injuries – In some industries, safety standards must be a priority, especially when the work environment is known to have risks. Construction work, for example, is known to be dangerous for workers. Under the right circumstances, you can seek compensation outside of workers comp.
- Medical Malpractice – Doctors have a duty to provide you with quality healthcare. When they fail in that duty and you’re harmed as a result, you can seek compensation in civil court.
- Serious and Catastrophic Injuries – When your injuries are particularly serious, you need to hold those responsible for your injuries financially accountable. You may need the compensation to provide for a future with a debilitating injury.
Negligence and Monetary Compensation for Your Brooklyn Injury Claim
The concept that allows you to file a personal injury claim against a party who injured you is called negligence. Negligence is defined as someone’s accountability for the harm he or she does to others.
If a negligent party caused your injuries, you can file an injury claim with that person or his or her insurance company to obtain compensation. That’s what insurance is there for. You might have sustained significant losses due to the accident and your physical injuries.
Losses, or damages, are all the ways in which your accident has impacted your life. Damages can be monetary or non-monetary.
Monetary damages are the financial costs you’ve incurred because of your accident. An example of these types of damages is the cost of your medical treatment. Non-monetary damages are the intangible losses you’ve suffered, such as the fact that you can’t sleep at night due to the trauma of your accident.
The following are some types of damages that can be included in a Brooklyn personal injury claim:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish and mental health treatment
- Medical expenses, including physical therapy, medications, doctor visits, and copays
- Missed work wages and inability to work
- Permanent scarring or disfigurement
- Lost enjoyment of your life
Got Proof? We’ll Use It to Help You Win
How exactly do you win a personal injury case, anyhow? The same way you win any other case—with evidence. Your attorney must be able to prove that someone was responsible for the harm you’ve suffered, and to do that, you need to collect evidence.
For instance, if you were injured in a trip-and-fall accident at your local gym, you may want to sue the person who owns the gym to recover your losses. Let’s say your injury occurred because exercise equipment was often left out and wasn’t properly stored, leading to your fall.
To prove negligence, you will need to gather witness statements from other gym-goers who report similar experiences or who witnessed your fall. You may also want to take pictures of the equipment and condition of the gym. You could also use evidence that demonstrates your losses, such as the medical bills you’ve had to pay out of pocket.
The following are a few examples of evidence your attorney could use to prove your personal injury case in Brooklyn.
- Witness statements
- Police and accident reports
- Expert testimony
- Medical evidence, including your medical history
- Documentation of your damages
- Video and photo evidence
Insurance Negotiations After a Serious Injury in Brooklyn
When you think of filing a personal injury claim, images of marble-floored courtrooms and jury members shaking their heads may come to mind, but you don’t always have to go to court. You may find that you’re dealing more with negotiations with insurance companies as you seek compensation for your injuries.
That means a settlement can be reached outside of court. In fact, most cases are resolved in this fashion. This can be great because it allows you to get the money you need without dealing with a lengthy trial process. On the other hand, insurance companies must be dealt with, and that can be tricky.
The insurance companies are only concerned with their profits, and they will do everything they can to help their team win. Fortunately, you can have your attorney handle the insurance companies on your behalf. We can help you avoid the pitfalls and traps insurers may lay out for you, and we can make sure yours is the winning team.
Here are a few ways insurance companies will try to devalue your Brooklyn injury case:
- Offer you an unreasonably low settlement
- Drag out the settlement process with the hope that you’ll give up
- Attempt to record your statements to use against you later
- Try to trick you into admitting fault
- Deny your injuries and losses, accusing you of filing a fraudulent claim
Keep in mind that insurance companies will only be involved in certain types of cases, such as auto crash claims. No matter who you’re dealing with, however, our firm can help you get every penny you’re owed.
Call a Brooklyn Injury Attorney at Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP
The attorneys at our firm know how stressful filing a personal injury claim can be. You need the financial compensation a successful claim can bring you, but the headache may seem like too much to deal with. At Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP, our attorneys are happy to make that headache go away.
We can do the important work of winning you fair compensation by building a solid foundation to support your injury claim. To speak with a Brooklyn personal injury lawyer at our firm during a free case assessment, call 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462) or fill out the online contact form at the bottom of this page.