Brooklyn Truck Accident Lawyer
Arm yourself with a Brooklyn truck accident attorney as you seek compensation for your injuries.
Semi-truck crashes are incredibly dangerous. The sheer mass of an 18-wheeler is incredibly difficult to stop when moving at any speed, but at high speeds, the devastation can be jaw-dropping.
If you have been injured in a traffic crash involving a semi-truck or 18-wheeler, you may benefit from working with a Brooklyn truck accident lawyer from Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP to determine the best course to take as you seek compensation for your injuries and damages.
Brooklyn 18-Wheeler Accident Causes
Many factors can cause accidents involving semi-trucks, including all the usual traffic crash causes. There are, however, other causes somewhat specific to truck drivers. For example, many truckers do not get enough sleep to adequately keep up with their demanding schedules.
The following are some other common causes of Brooklyn truck accidents:
- Road Conditions – Construction areas, potholes, narrow shoulders, uneven lanes, and improper or inadequate signage can cause 18-wheeler accidents.
- Mechanical Failures – Brake failure, a tire blowout, or a stuck gas pedal could have caused the semi-truck accident that injured you.
- Driver Misconduct – Distracted, drowsy, and drunk or drugged truck drivers are all too common on Brooklyn roads.
- Unsecured Cargo – Cargo and other debris falling off or out of the semi-truck or trailer can create a road hazard that causes crashes.
Investigating Your Brooklyn Commercial Truck Wreck
Your Brooklyn truck crash lawyer will diligently investigate the accident circumstances, vehicles involved, maintenance and construction histories, and every other aspect of your accident.
We will also interview witnesses and consult with transportation experts to determine what caused your crash and who is to blame. Once we have done that, we’ll build your claim for compensation.
Proving Fault in a Trucking Accident
Deciding who is at fault often relies on finding out exactly what the cause of the accident was. If the truck’s brakes failed, then the maintenance crew might be at fault, but if it was due to improperly secured cargo, then another business might be to blame.
The complications in pursuing a personal injury claim in the aftermath of a truck accident often involve the fact that trucking businesses utilize many different distribution contractors and therefore could involve several liable parties.
It’s important to cite each at-fault party in your claim to maximize your compensation and hold the appropriate groups responsible.
Truck Crash Injuries
The injuries you may suffer in an accident with an 18-wheeler can be much more severe than if you had been hit by a smaller vehicle. The forces involved can crumple your car and whip you and any other occupants around.
You might have to deal with head, neck, back, and internal injuries, as well as broken bones and severe burns. These all could cause serious problems now and far into the future.
- Trauma to the head can cause severe disfigurement, traumatic brain injury, and harm to your eyes, nose, mouth, and ears.
- Neck, back, and spinal injuries can cause untreatable nerve damage that causes tingling, numbness, or pain in your limbs or other areas, as well as the possibility of full or partial paralysis.
- Internal damage can cause organ injuries and internal bleeding, which are not always caught during initial medical examinations. Left untreated, internal injuries can easily become deadly. They may also require invasive surgeries or even organ transplants.
- Broken bones can require surgeries, metal plates and pins adhered to your bones, or even amputations.
- Severe burns might necessitate multiple skin graft operations.
Compensation for Semi-Truck Accidents
The costs of these injuries and other damages can be extreme and last for years, which is why we will estimate your losses and expenses far into the future when we build your claim for compensation.
To do this successfully, we will work with your doctors and specialists to determine how extensive your injuries are and how long they may impact your life.
Your Brooklyn 18-wheeler accident lawyer will ensure that every damage that can be claimed will be claimed, including the following potential damages:
- Immediate and Estimated Medical Costs – Medications, surgeries, physical therapy, and any temporary or permanent medical equipment
- Current and Projected Income Losses – While recovering from the accident and any diminished ability to work the same job, shift, or hours
- Disability Accommodations – Changes made to your car, home, and workplace, including stair lifts, wheelchair lifts, and new office equipment
- Pain and Suffering – Accounting for the trauma of your Brooklyn truck accident and the pain you’ve endured
- Emotional Distress – Post-traumatic stress disorder and other emotional disorders caused by the crash
- Loss of Consortium and Companionship – Changes in your personality or relationships or diminished ability to interact with loved ones
- Property Damage – Car, cell phone, and other items
- Wrongful Death – The loss of a loved one as a result of your 18-wheeler crash
Troubles with Insurers and Other Lawyers
Redirecting the blame to the victim is a favorite tactic of defense attorneys and insurers.
Even your own insurance company is not likely on your side in a situation like this because it may have to compensate you as well under New York’s no-fault insurance policy. You have to treat your own insurer as a threat because it and anyone else on the other side may try to turn your words against you.
The more fault the other side can accuse you of, the less they will have to pay out. This is because New York is a pure comparative negligence state, which allows you to file a claim even if you were partially at fault but also reduces your compensation by the amount of fault you bear.
If you were to be awarded $100,000 but deemed 10 percent at fault, then you would only receive $90,000, for example.
Work with a Brooklyn Semi-Truck Accident Attorney
If you have been hurt in an accident with an 18-wheeler, you deserve the proper compensation for all the hardships your injuries have caused for you. The other side will fight you tooth and nail because you are only a number to them—a number they want to minimize as much as possible.
To succeed in your case and fully recover, you may need a qualified attorney from Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP to help maximize your compensation.
Contact a Brooklyn truck accident lawyer by filling out the online contact form below or calling us at 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462). We offer a free consultation to new clients.