Don’t Be a Victim Twice!
Call 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462)
get in touch

How Does Car Insurance Work in New York?

Most people are aware that you are required by law to have car insurance in all fifty states, but some states, like New York, have no-fault coverage. Here we’ll talk about what no-fault car insurance is and what it does for you after a car or motorcycle accident. We’ll also discuss how long you have to file an injury claim after you’ve been involved in a crash.

No-Fault Insurance in New York State

New York is one of the twelve states that have no-fault coverage. No-fault insurance coverage means that your own insurance company will pay for your initial medical expenses and lost wages if you’ve been hurt in a car accident—regardless of who was at fault.

This may sound odd, but this system of coverage is in place because New York doesn’t allow you to file a personal injury claim against the driver who hit you unless your medical bills and damages reach a certain level or unless your injuries are severe enough.

To qualify as serious in this context, your injuries must involve at least one of the following criteria:

  • Broken or fractured bone
  • Permanent and significant disfigurement
  • Permanent or significant lost function of a body part, organ, or system
  • Full disability for at least ninety days

No-fault insurance is filed against your insurance company and the amount of compensation you receive will vary depending on New York’s no-fault limit. Your compensation won’t be over that amount.

Statute of Limitations for Personal Injury Claims in New York

In the state of New York, the amount of time you have to file your injury claim (the statute of limitations) is three years. That means you must file your claim within that amount of time after your motorcycle, car, or truck crash or you won’t be able to file at all.

Contact a New York City Car Accident Lawyer

If you’ve been hurt in a car accident in New York, the state’s no-fault laws can be tough to understand. In addition, you may have grounds to file a lawsuit against the other driver if your injuries or damages are significant enough.

To learn more about these laws and how they relate to your case, contact a lawyer from Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP by completing the form below or giving us a call at 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462). Get started on your claim with a free consultation today.

Start live chat with our team?