Queens Accident Lawyer
Accidents can happen in a matter of a second, but they can alter your entire future. For help in your financial recovery, work with a Queens accident attorney.
Accidents come in many varieties, but most injury victims will find themselves eligible to receive compensatory damages via a personal injury suit, regardless of what type of accident injured them. As long as they can prove negligence on the part of another party, they likely have a viable claim.
To see what your case might be worth, contact a Queens accident lawyer at Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP today.
Types of Queens Personal Injury Cases
Essential to winning any personal injury suit is your clear identification and documentation of the type of accident you suffered.
Some types of accidents commonly associated with Queens personal injury cases include the following:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents – For all the bells and whistles in today’s average vehicle, driving isn’t necessarily any safer, which is evidenced by the number of fatal accidents in the U.S. increasing by nearly 6 percent from 2015 to 2016. If you can prove that another driver crashed into you due to being drunk, distracted, or otherwise compromised, you may find your path to legal victory much easier. Truck wrecks and motorcycle accidents are also included in this category.
- Construction or Work Accidents – The workplace is often regarded as a sanctuary by its employees, but a serious accident can quickly change that perception. While workers compensation will often be an option, it doesn’t always provide the type of financial security you need. Should this be the case, a lawyer can help you determine whether you’re able to file an injury claim.
- Premises Liability – Anyone who is injured on someone else’s property in Queens may find themselves with a viable premises liability suit. Whether you were attacked by a vicious dog, slipped and fell in the driveway, or fell off a balcony, you will still need to prove that such circumstances were the fault of the property’s owner.
- Product Liability – While it’s uncomfortable to consider, that purchase you made in store or online may have the potential to cause injury. If you find yourself hurt by a defect in a product or good you purchased, you may be eligible for compensation.
- Medical Malpractice – Doctors may have fancy medical degrees, but that doesn’t mean they’re perfect. If your physician has caused you harm or engaged in deceptive practices, you shouldn’t rule out a Queens medical malpractice lawsuit. Keep in mind that a doctor’s intent matters much less than the ultimate outcomes of the treatment.
What Queens Accident Victims Must Know
Although every state allows accident victims to recover compensation through personal injury claims, the elements of that legal framework differ from state to state. New York, for example, uses the standard of comparative negligence for apportioning liability in any accident, which allows multiple parties to be sued.
The catch is that any liability you’re ultimately implicated with will likely come out of your total damages on a proportional basis (e.g., being found 20 percent at fault for your Queens accident would decrease your awarded compensation by a corresponding 20 percent).
It’s also critical to consider New York’s statute of limitations for personal injury victims, which is three years. A case’s statute of limitations is the deadline for when you have to file your claim.
While there will likely be other legal concepts with which you will need to become familiar, these two serve as a good starting point.
Injuries Common to Accidents in Queens
Following an accident, you may find yourself saddled with any number of injuries, both minor and severe. These can include the following:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spine damage
- Face or eye damage
- Broken or fractured bones
- Cuts, scrapes, and bruises
- Internal bleeding or organ damage
Documenting Your Losses
Any and all losses you have sustained because of your accident in Queens should be documented. That includes medical expenses, lost wages or earning potential, pain and suffering, emotional distress, loss of consortium, and worsened quality of life, among others.
It’s also worth mentioning the importance of not only documenting past and present losses and injuries, but any expected to occur in the future.
Contact a Queens Accident Attorney
We believe accident victims have already been through enough. Why make their path to recovery even harder than it already is?
To work with an attorney who will take care of all the details, contact a Queens accident lawyer at Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP today. Call us at 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462) or fill out the form below to schedule a free, no-obligation case consultation.