Don’t Be a Victim Twice!
Call 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462)
get in touch

Do I Have to Report a Bicycle Accident to the Police?

One minute, you’re biking through town, whether that’s part of your commute, running errands, or just getting a little exercise and fresh air. The next, you’ve been struck by a driver or have otherwise crashed. Now, you’re pretty bruised up, and you’re wondering what’s next.

You may be thinking about not reporting your bicycle accident to the police, especially if your injuries don’t seem that severe. But failing to report your accident can hurt your personal injury claim. You can instead talk to your lawyer at Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP about reporting your accident.

Reporting the Accident Can Help You

When you’re involved in a bicycle accident, you may be required to file a police report if someone is seriously injured or killed in the bike accident. Your severe injuries in the accident may include broken bones, head injuries, or disfigurement, among others.

But even if you feel fine, you may need to call the police. A serious injury may not be obvious at first. Symptoms of a concussion, back injury, or internal bleeding may not appear for days after the accident in some cases. Reporting now can make it easier to prove you were hurt in the accident and that you’re due compensation.

Use Your Copy in Your Lawsuit

Your police report isn’t just for notifying the police and the insurance company. It can also be useful when you’re preparing to take your bicycle accident claim to court.

Filing a lawsuit can take time, and your memory may falter in the meantime. You may forget details, even if you file within the three-year time limit for a lawsuit. Because of this, you may need to use your police report for reference during your lawsuit.

Your police report is a firsthand record of what caused your accident, who was involved, and who was at fault for your injuries. Because of this, your copy of the police report can help you prove fault if your claim goes to court.

Talk to a Bike Accident Lawyer About Your Report

Hurt in a bicycle accident? Reporting your accident may help you get compensated. Your lawyer at Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP can help you take all the right steps to get your compensation. When you’re ready to make the most of your police report for your bicycle accident lawsuit, reach out for a free consultation by calling 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462) or by completing the online contact form below.

Start live chat with our team?