Don’t Be a Victim Twice!
Call 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462)
get in touch

How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim for a Car Accident?

When you’re hurt in a serious car accident, recovery isn’t always easy. You’re injured, you’re struggling with the emotional and mental effects, and the bills just keep piling up. Worse, filing with your insurance company may not be an option.

You need an answer to one question: How do I file a personal injury claim for a car accident? If you’re facing a car accident injury and you’re not sure where to start, turn to the lawyers at Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP. We’ll help you file your claim and get the funds you need to cover your losses.

The Serious Injury Threshold

When considering a personal injury claim, you’ll first need to consider whether you’re qualified to sue. Because New York is a no-fault state, your insurance company should typically cover your losses, no matter who was at fault.

That changes, though, if you suffer a serious injury during your wreck. If your claim is worth more than $50,000 or if you’ve suffered any of the following injuries, speak to your car accident lawyer about filing a lawsuit:

  • Death
  • Dismemberment
  • Loss of use of limb
  • Bone fractures
  • Disfigurement

Preparing Your Evidence

Once you’ve determined that you have a chance to sue, you’ll need to contact a personal injury lawyer about preparing your claim. You’ll need to gather evidence that shows who caused the auto crash and how they were acting carelessly.

For example, you may have been hit by a drunk driver. You’ll first need to find the driver responsible for your car accident, which should be simple if they didn’t flee the scene. Once you’ve proven they caused the accident, you’ll then focus on proving that they should pay for your injuries.

Evidence proving that a driver was careless will typically be in the police report, which can help support your claim. Footage or pictures of the scene of the wreck can also help you prove that they caused the auto wreck with their carelessness.

Contact a Car Accident Attorney

Getting compensation after a serious car accident can be tough. You’re dealing with the aftermath and trying to get compensation for your losses all at once. Fortunately, a lawyer from Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP can help you answer your questions, like, “How do I file a personal injury claim for a car accident?”

Once you’ve gathered all the information you need, you’ll need to file a claim in court, then start preparing with your attorney. If you’re struggling with your claim, reach out for a free consultation. Our lawyers will help you understand your claim and get the help you need to seek out your compensation.

Ready to file a claim but unsure where to start? Get a New York car accident lawyer on your side. For your free consultation, give us a call at 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462) or complete the following online form.

Start live chat with our team?