Manhattan Train Accident Lawyer
A commuter train wreck can result in devastating injuries that leave victims buried in medical debt and other damages. Find out how you can get compensated by working with a Manhattan train accident lawyer.
Millions of people commute by train every day throughout the New York City metro area. Expecting to be safely taken to their destination, most passengers don’t think twice about getting into an accident involving a light-rail train.
However, there are about 3,000 train accidents every year in the United States, causing about 1,000 fatalities. According to the Federal Railroad Administration, the number of light-rail and commuter train accidents is on the rise.
If you were injured in a train accident, you might be wondering if you can file a personal injury claim and recover damages for your lost wages, medical bills, and pain and suffering. A Manhattan train accident lawyer from Greenstein & Milbauer can investigate the accident and obtain the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
Every Train Accident Is Different
Like all motor vehicles, light-rail and commuter trains are prone to accidents, potentially causing serious harm to passengers and bystanders. There are nearly three dozen train accidents per year in New York, many of which will cause serious injuries to Manhattan commuters.
Common types of train accidents include the following:
- Train-to-Car Collisions – The impact caused when a train crashes into a car can easily result in severe injuries and death to car passengers and train commuters. Nearby pedestrians are also at risk.
- Derailments – Train cars can overturn, ejecting passengers from the train and sending debris flying.
- Train-to-Train Collisions – When two trains collide head-on or rear-end each other on the same track, the devastation can be substantial.
- Railroad Crossing Collisions – Most railroad crossing accidents involve cars; however, pedestrians can also be killed.
It’s important for victims of train accidents to hold the party responsible for the crash accountable after being injured. A Manhattan train accident lawyer can guide you through the legal process and protect your right to recover just damages.
Causes of Light-Rail Train Accidents
Several different circumstances can lead to commuter train wrecks, from driver error to maintenance issues to defective parts, all of these factors can cause collisions that lead to serious long-term or permanent injuries. When injured, you have the right to file a claim to recover compensation from the negligent parties.
Common causes of train accidents include all of the following:
- Conductor error, such as speeding, failing to brake safely, and fatigue
- Distracted operation, particularly texting and other cell phone use
- Operating under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Faulty railroad tracks
- Poor track and train maintenance
- Faulty equipment or defective parts
- Malfunction of railroad gates, lights, and signals
Who Is at Fault for a Commuter Train Crash?
Train wrecks are the culmination of a progression of events, with conductor error being the number one cause. The details of what actually caused any given train crash are often complicated and require a thorough investigation to determine which parties are responsible for causing the accident.
Those liable may include any of the following entities:
- The train company
- The train engineer or other workers
- The maintenance company or crew who maintains the train and tracks
- The manufacturers of defective train or track parts
- The manufacturer of the train
Consult with a Manhattan Commuter Train Wreck Attorney
If you suffered injuries in a train wreck, a Manhattan train accident lawyer from Greenstein & Milbauer will be dedicated to recovering the compensation you deserve. Contact us through the online form below or call 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462) for a free consultation to discuss how we can help.