Long Island Personal Injury Lawyer
Any personal injury could hurt your finances and future just as much as your health. Find out if you have grounds to seek monetary compensation by consulting with a Long Island personal injury lawyer.
Any time you’ve been injured in an accident that was caused by someone else, you could have grounds for a personal injury lawsuit. Any serious injury is bound to result in expensive medical bills and affect the quality of your life. These are damages that you shouldn’t be expected to cover out of your own pocket, and with the help of a Long Island personal injury lawyer from Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP, you won’t have to.
Common Accidents That Result in Injuries
The type of accident that you were hurt in is obviously a central factor in building your case for compensation. This is because your accident type will establish who the potential at-fault parties are. By performing a thorough investigation that identifies everyone who was at least partially responsible, your Long Island personal injury lawyer can help you name them all in your lawsuit and thereby maximize your potential settlement amount.
- Motor Vehicle Accidents – Whether you were injured in a car, commercial truck, or motorcycle crash, the other driver is the most likely party to be at fault, although there could be others, such as a parts manufacturer or government entity responsible for road maintenance.
- Premises Liability – In these cases, a property owner or renter is responsible for causing an injury due to failing to maintain their grounds up to safe standards.
- Dog Bites – When an aggressive dog attacks without provocation, the animal’s owner is at fault.
- Workplace Injuries – If a third-party contractor was to blame, you could have grounds to sue outside of workers compensation.
- Defective Products – The manufacturer, distributor, and retailer could all be responsible when a product is used as intended and still causes harm.
How Your Injury Type Affects Your Compensation
They type of injury you sustain will be the single greatest factor in determining what amount you should settle for. This is because the nature and extent of the damage will indicate what sort of treatment will be required, the probable length of your recovery, and how your life will be affected.
For example, it may be possible to make a full recovery from a broken bone or severe burn injury; however, the pain of the physical damage will still greatly decrease your quality of life, and you’ll still have expensive medical bills and missed time at work to contend with.
Conversely, brain damage or a spinal injury could leave you permanently disabled and unable to work at all. Not only will you require ongoing medical care and special equipment and accommodations, but you may no longer be able to earn an income or maintain the lifestyle you’ve been accustomed to.
What’s Your Injury Worth?
Correctly valuing your injury claim is a complex process, and taking the time to do it right can earn you significantly more money. It’s best to begin by looking at your past medical bills, what your ongoing payments are, and what your future treatments are likely to cost. Included in this amount should be the costs of rehabilitation, physical therapy, medication, and medical devices.
We’ll also need to determine any other less-obvious expenses you have incurred due to your injuries and any non-economic damages that have negatively affected your quality of life. Your Long Island personal injury lawyer will work closely with you to uncover all of your losses:
- Lost wages incurred due to taking time off or not being able to work
- Transportation costs.
- Cost of hiring daycare, help around the house, or in-home medical staff
- Prosthetic limbs and mobility equipment
- Cost of retrofitting your home to accommodate a disability
- Pain and suffering
- Lost enjoyment of life
Dealing with Insurance Companies After a Personal Injury
In the end, your final settlement is most likely going to come from the insurance company of the at-fault party. Their goal is to minimize the amount that they’ll have to pay you, as their true priority is padding their own profit margins as much as possible. They will do so by making low settlement offers or by trying to discredit you in court.
This is why it’s important to hire a Long Island personal injury lawyer to represent you and protect your rights. We will build a strong case that demonstrates why you deserve compensation and what your claim is truly worth. Once retained, we can negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf and fight them in court if doing so becomes the best option for a fair and full settlement.
Schedule a Free Consultation with a Long Island Personal Injury Attorney
Don’t risk an unfair settlement amount that could leave you paying for the negative repercussions of your accident and injuries. Avoid becoming a victim a second time by exploring your legal options for financial compensation with a Long Island personal injury lawyer. To get started, contact Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP by calling 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462) or by completing the form on this page.