Don’t Be a Victim Twice!
Call 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462)
get in touch

Do I Have to Report My Car Accident to the Police?

A serious car accident can impact your life for years, so taking the right steps now can be vital to helping you recover from your injuries. 

But what steps are necessary? Do you have to report a car accident to the police or just the insurance company? 

If you’re not sure you’ve taken the right steps, a car accident attorney can help you. Reach out for help from a lawyer at Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP to make sure you take the right steps for your claim. 

NYC Car Accident Reporting Requirements 

When you’re hurt in a car accident, you may be more focused on getting a settlement from the insurance company than anything else. But in many cases, New York requires a police report for a car accident. If any of the following happened, you may be required to file an auto accident report: 

  • More than $1,000 of property was damaged. 
  • Someone was injured. 
  • Someone was killed. 
  • A domestic animal was injured or killed. 
  • A parked car was damaged and the owner can’t be found.

You must file this car crash report within ten days. If you don’t file on time, you may face legal penalties, including a license suspension. 

How Your Car Accident Report Can Help Your Claim 

Your NYC car accident report isn’t just paperwork. It can be key evidence for your claim for compensation. 

Months or even years may pass before you file a lawsuit, and more time may pass before your case is heard in court. All that passing time may make it difficult to remember specific details of the accident. Your car accident report is a record of who’s responsible for your accident, who was involved in the crash, and other details about your injuries and damage. 

Because your report must be made and filed shortly after the accident, these details will still be as accurate as possible on your report. That can help your car accident lawyer seek compensation for your injuries. 

How to File an NYC Car Accident Report 

Luckily, filing your car accident report is simple. You have ten days to file your report, which you can find on the Department of Motor Vehicles’ (DMV’s) website. You only need to follow the instructions on the form and send it to the correct location. Your lawyer can help you complete the report and get an official copy for your lawsuit or insurance claim. 

Get Help with Your Car Accident Report—Call a Car Crash Lawyer 

When you’re hurt in a serious car accident, every piece of evidence matters. Even a copy of your car accident report can make a big difference in the hands of the lawyers at Greenstein & Milbauer, LLP

If you’re hurt and seeking compensation, our attorneys are prepared to represent you and maximize the value of your claim. Start with a free consultation, where we can discuss your claim and the details of your report before you file anything. Reach out to a car accident lawyer by calling 1-800-VICTIM2 (842-8462) or by completing the online contact form below.

Start live chat with our team?